Do you ever wonder what kinds of chemicals are being put into your body from your deodorant?
Our skin is our largest organ we have. The skin has three main jobs for your body and that is, protection, regulation and sensation. I have searched high and low for a recipe for a deodorant that did not contain baking soda because it can irritate the thin layer of skin in your arm pits. I could not believe how hard it is to find a recipe that did not contain baking soda.
Secondly, I wanted to find something that was different than arrow root powder because I was tired of my clothes being white from the residue. To be completely honest, the bentonite clay I use is not much different but at least it has a shade off from white and it has multiple healing properties.
I also used coconut oil because it’s antibacterial. Every single process of chemical elimination you take counts to living a healthy lifestyle. I wanted to use deodorant tubes because I didn’t want to have to dip my fingers in a jar and contaminate the contents. I also used coconut oil because it’s antibacterial. Every single process of chemical elimination you take counts to living a healthy lifestyle.
This deodorant stays solid in the summer months, no skin irritations from baking soda and your PH balance should keep balanced. The bentonite clay is gray, comes in a larger jar and can be used in many other recipes.
This recipe makes 2 deodorant tubes that are 2.2 ounces.
2 tablespoons beeswax
3 tsp Bentonite clay
1 1/2 teaspoons of Zinc Oxide Powder
6 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
1/2 teaspoons Vitamin E Oil
60 drops of Essential Oil of your choice
Melaleuca (Recommended) also known as tea tree
- In a double boiler, melt beeswax and coconut oil together until completely melted. Remove from stove.
- In a small bowl mix together zinc oxide and bentonite clay
- Combine the liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients.
- Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes or until the ingredients have set up just a bit. This is in order for the Clay to mix with the ingredients rather than settle to the bottom.
- Pour into deodorant containers and let sit overnight to harden before use.
Enjoy and let me know if you have questions!